Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Thoughts in Edinburgh


I am in a large coffee shop in Edinburgh with a fine view of the castle and I realise that none of the throng of people around me would have been born when I moved away from this, my home town. It's quite a thought for me. Where did these youngsters come from? Where am I going to fast? What the heck is going on here? No answers, but ah... the young lady opposite who just caught my gaze probably thinks I am leering at her. Goodness, I hope she didn't think I was taking a photo of her! Sigh... I was just looking at her and wondering what she really is, and what I really am, and what this nonsense that we are all part of is all about. Life, that is... She does have a very pretty face though. Oh... She just smiled at me as I tap out this rubbish on my keyboard. Why do I feel she has little to smile about, really? I have just enjoyed a fine lunch with my slightly older brother, and at least he's still alive, which is encouraging given that he has been living with leukaemia for a few years now. Which prompts me to ponder, and not for the first time, that the aggressive life of a cancer cell is actually an indication of the resilience of living chemistry that is needed to bring us all into existence and keep us alive. Nature's chemistry doesn't care for us at all, at the same time as caring for us all, if you can follow what I mean... Anyway, time for a walk back to the car in search of a few less traditional Edinburgh views:






Ach, and I could offer a classic one too, I suppose:

9 comments:

  1. Which prompts me to ponder, and not for the first time, that the aggressive life of a cancer cell is actually an indication of the resilience of living chemistry that is needed to bring us all into existence and keep us alive. Nature's chemistry doesn't care for us at all, at the same time as caring for us all,

    I know you don't do belief but I believe that is true. When we are tuned into nature the truth feels quite comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true Cherie... but the problem is that most of the "beliefs" that people seem to believe in seem, to me, to be mechanisms to avoid and deny the truths of nature rather than to tune into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...not that I know the truths of nature, of course, but I do have some rather strong suspicions that they are a lot less nice and a lot less interested in us than what the beliefs of most types of Faith suggest they might be.

    Time to seek the sweet oblivion of sleep now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take very nice photos, Andrew...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect that nature is completely disinterested in us. Which is probably not entirely sensible given the mess we are making of the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had many thoughts in Edinburgh. In fact, I have thoughts in Edinburgh every day but, as an inferior being, mine will be on a much lower plane than yours ..... unless, of course, I jest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ach you are confused again Calum. I wasn't on a plane. I was just sitting in a coffee shop. I thought I had explained that. I hope your lower plane flies high enough not to crash though.

    Nature will have the last laugh EC, and will clear up our trivial mess no problem at all.

    Thanks Claude. I am glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like watching plants and flowers grow. It fascinates me how they strive to grow even in unfavourable conditions, how they strive to grow into the best they can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish they'd hurry up this year here though - we are having a cold spring.

    ReplyDelete