Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Little old ladies should look where they are going

I knew it was going to happen, again...

The little old lady approaching me with her head down in the short alleyway barely wide enough for one.

What to do?

I stopped.

She continued to approach, head down.

Then when just a few feet away she looked up, jumped about a foot in the air (I exaggerate but it seemed like that) and I waited to catch her if her heart stopped from the shock.

I said sorry. Why did I say sorry? It's not my fault that I am 6 foot 4... It's not my fault that I was there... It's not my fault that so very often, I give little old wandering and distracted ladies, such a scare.

Although... I suppose I should stick to the wide open avenues, with perhaps a flashing light on my head and a little machine that goes "beep, beep, beep" as I approach.

13 comments:

  1. Clearly my dear Don she thought you were Big Tam and about to perform some form of malky on her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whereas I was really just Big Soft Don afraid that as she approached head down at surprising speed a collision might do serious damage to my nobility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean there is no beeping machine around you? Or someone preceding you with the sound of a trumpet? Dangerous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you mention it Claude, I suppose a man on a horse waving a big red flag of warning and announcement as I proceed on my noble way might be appropriate. Seanso! I have a new job for you! (and good to hear from you my friend).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! Seanso and I wrote exactly at the same moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha. So you did. I hadn't noticed that. Signals coming in from Canada and Germany and hitting me from each side at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People could also watch where they're going.
    Not that I always do..

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the rare occasions that I wish to overtake someone at the pool I do say beep beep just as I move out to go past. And I haven't hit anyone, or swum over the top of them since. And making a road runner beep beep sound is surprisingly good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never overtake anyone at the pool. Too slow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A swimmer has to be seriously slow before I can overtake them. There is a gentleman in his seventies who does breast-stroke up and down the pool while chatting with anyone and everyone. His style is bad. Very bad. And if I could catch him I would tell him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha,

    We have slow medium and fast lanes. I am in the medium lane, and only ever have been there even when young. But now I am one of the slower ones in the medium lane rather than one of the faster. I think I can delay my relegation for a few years yet, especially as I have to watch a man in his mid-sixties powering up and down the fast lane beside me. Maybe I should get into training and try for promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We also have slow, medium and fast lanes. If the medium lane is not too crowded I go into it. Sometimes I am kidding myself and should go in the lane of general bewilderment.

    ReplyDelete